Friday, January 04, 2013

New... full of promise and hope


I still just shake my head at the thought of the fact it is 2013.  I seriously can not believe how quickly time is passing.

I am not one to make new year's resolutions.  I have never really liked the thought of setting myself up for failure right at the start of a new year... full of promise and hope.  But there is also something very alluring about a new year standing before you... something that almost begs for deep thoughts and reflections.  Purposeful living.

I had a mini-breakdown last night.  I was lying in bed... thinking about my life... and it just overwhelmed me with frustration, disappointment, sadness, and guilt.  Yeah.  Not fabulous emotions by any means.

I spilled to my husband how disappointed I am with certain things in my life... how exhausted I am with the very feelings I try to balance and the constant effort I put forth to try and "correct" them.  Piled on top of all of that festivity is the guilt.  My life is full of blessing.  It is full of God's love and His hand and His presence... and yet my thoughts are not of thanksgiving and joy... they are of frustration, exhaustion, and guilt.

I have seen what it looks like on the other side.  I have seen children waiting in orphanages for a family to come... I have seen a mud hut full of six people who sleep on a swept dirt floor... huddled under one mosquito net... hoping to not be bitten, hoping to make it safely into another day.  And yet...

A friend posted a link to a blog post on facebook today and it caught my eye... "How I decluttered our home."  You can check it out HERE.

As I read the post... it hit me.  It refreshed me.  It called out to me!  I need to declutter my life.  I need to declutter my home.  I need to declutter my schedule.  I need to declutter my responsibilities.  I need to declutter my mind and soul.

I need to learn to abide.

So that is what I am moving towards.  That is what is going to guide my life this year.  And I am claiming it... this year is my year.  I am pulling in and restoring my soul.  I am going to hunker down at home and abide.

One of the things I plan to do is reread Ann Voskamp's, One Thousand Gifts.  I blew through it last year and had intention to read it again but ended up giving my copy to someone in Latvia.  It is an amazing read.  To watch how God transforms one's soul and perspective though gratitude and thanksgiving is very inspiring.  It is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  And I highly recommend it.

I have a copy for you... if you want it.  Simply leave a comment in this post and you will be entered to win.  Next Tuesday night, after 6 p.m., I will draw a name and announce the winner on Wednesday.

And just to get my gratitude rolling... here are a few of my thankfuls of just this morning...

*Sleeping in
*Husband bringing me coffee in bed
*Cardinals on the bird feeder
*Devotion speaking right to my thoughts today... "Shedding the Old."
*Hugs and smiles from daughters
*Joy and excitement in a little watching Avenger cartoon
*Clean kitchen, counters, & sink
*Hope
*My husband's deep and unconditional love reflecting the Father's love for my little mess of me

Have a blessed weekend sweet friend.
Dawn~

10 comments:

  1. would love a copy of this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you got the earrings. I know I mailed them during a crazy time. I also hope your sweet little is doing better. We have GOT to connect. I think of you often. Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. I did ... they are beautiful thank you sweet friend!! My little one is doing okay - we are back to CHOA in the morning for our weekly procedure until the final surgery - when we aren't there we are hanging here at home - would love to connect - maybe you could come for a visit one afternoon!! We would love the company as we are trying to stay low until our ladybug is fully recovered.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this post. I like the idea of decluttering my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! I think the idea/task/discipline is right on... especially when you have kids! I KNOW Abby will enjoy her room more if her closet/toys/clothes/room are decluttered. She gets overwhelmed. Every time I clean her room and do a minor declutter, she always thanks me a hundred times and just stands in her room looking at it! :0) Thanks for commenting... miss seeing you at M2M. Hope you and your sweet family are well!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:58 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:00 PM

      Whoops... sorry Dawn, I pasted an earlier email to a high school friend of mine. Duh... it'd be nice if I actually read what I pasted before I "published" it! Whoopsi! What I meant to post was:

      I'm re-reading Ann's book for the THIRD time... it's been a huge blessing for me and very transforming. She's so smart though, I find myself re-reading and re-reading. As you know it's not an easy read, but a very worthy read. Let's help each other ABIDE in 2013!!!!!
      Kim

      Delete
    2. Kim... you totally cracked me up! I was highly confused! :0) That is what happens when you live such fast paced lives like we do! So glad you are familiar with the book. Once you get into the groove as how she writes, it seems like I am listening to a friend! And yes... we need to help each other abide. I'd love that. :0)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:56 PM

    I would love this book... it would bring much joy to me an ocean away.
    love erin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!