Monday, February 14, 2011

Just Us
                                                                         
I went away last week, for one night, with my man... my thoughtful and generous man... husband, friend, and lover.  I realized, more than ever before, how necessary this must become for us.

It was just one day, one night, and part of another day... and it was just us and it was full.

We were just "us"... just a boy and just a girl.  There was no talk of children allowed.

We were not on a time schedule.  We had no place to be at a certain time.  We had nothing to worry about.  We laughed.  We shopped.  We talked.  We loved.  We slept.  And we totally reconnected.  We were who we are... just ourselves.

As we drove home, I realized how consumed our lives become with children when we have them.  Yes.  They are children for just a short while.  And they do need a lot of us... all the time.  But what about the other... the signifigant other?  My mind wondered to when we were dating and everything was about the other.  When we were engaged and everything was about the other.  When we were first married and everything was about the other.  And then... it got lost somewhere.

I often have nothing left for my other.  No energy.  No patience.  No laughter.  No time.  No me. I was convicted to the core, this can not be so any longer.

I went on a get a way with my man... I have made some changes... we are going to do it often.  We are going to be us for each other.  And I want my children to see our love... and want that. 

I am a very lucky girl.  Even when I am pouting and feeling sorry for myself... I am a very lucky girl.

Love.  I get to love... and I have love.  And that loves grows.


"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16,17~

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up, does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity but rejoices in truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8~

"He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." 1 John 4:8~ 

3 comments:

  1. GIRL,I feel ya..we DO get consumed by our kids...and we miss out..on being loved and adored..and vice versa..and sometimes I long for that "butterflies in my stomach" feeling..of what it felt like when we were dating...I want that BACK! :) and you have to make time for that..

    Glad you got away..and reconnected :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with that. It's so easy to be all about our little ones, because they need us for everything! God is speaking to me about this as well. Daniel was here first, I have to remember that. And, when Hannah (and her future siblings) is/are grown and gone, Daniel will still be here. Glad you guys got a chance to be alone together, it is SO important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you! We had decided that we are going to do this about 10 years ago and it has changed our marriage! Now we look forward to our dates so much. Just resting, laughing, eating, sleeping, loving, and reconnecting.
    Our kids see that and they know that we are in love. I want them to measure their future relationships agains that. It is real and they know it. You can't lie to kids :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!