Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hunger

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."  Matthew 4:23

"As a deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?"  Psalm 42: 1,2 

These two scriptures speak so much to what I feel every day.  I am so thirsty for God... for His presence, His power, His word, His peace, His voice, His face, His warmth, His touch, His love, His Spirit.

I have a hunger to be in His word more than I ever have before... even the Old Testament is becoming alive to me.  The Psalms have all new meaning.  Jewish feasts and Holy days are now calling to me to dive into them and learn. 

I used to read that scripture in Psalm 42 about a deer panting for water and think to myself..."Really... that thirsty and wanting...?"  YES!  It's consuming.  It's distracting me from daily tasks.  I can't get enough.

And I love the scripture in Matthew because it comes with a promise that is now a truth to me... "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness... FOR THEY WILL BE FILLED."  There is nothing better than being full of God.  Full with what He is showing you.  Full with His love and full with his power.

It's like being hungry and biting into an apple.  It looks great on the outside... the color is appealing and the smell tempts you to bite.  And once you bite into it, the flavor and the juice explodes in your mouth... causing your jaw to hurt from excitement and satisfaction and your stomach to cry out for more!  

How was I ever content before?  I was being lied to. I was being told I was fine.  How did I not know this hunger and this filling?  I was being lied to.  I was being told I was full enough.  How did I not see?  I was being lied to.  My eyes were veiled with distraction and worldy opinions.  And yet God was was calling me... all that time... a quiet but constant calling... for more of Him.

I had a deep stirring.  I wrote about it last summer in my blog.  Praise Him!  I felt He was stirring me and something was coming.  And I felt it was big.  But I felt no need to try and figure it out.  I felt no need to try and make "something" happen.  I just waited.  And waited.  And waited.

Then on December 8, 2009, I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit that forever changed my life.  
My eyes were opened to the spiritual realm that had been before me all along.  And the hunger for more of HIM took my breath away.  I am so thankful.  I simply sob when I try to put my thankfulness into words.  Our words are so empty when it comes to the Lord.  "Holy" and "Love" are the closest we can get.

As God continues to reveal His word to me, His power to me, His authority in me to me, His will for me, His fullness to me and His kingdom to me... I am BLOWN AWAY with the friends in my circle who have this same hunger and are having the same experiences.  I am left with my jaw hanging open half the time!  Why do we put God into a box!?  Have we not learned!?  

I used to know the historical God.  Now I KNOW the living God!

More... more... more... I so want more and more. 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post Dawn.
    p.s. we are about 80% organic and loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!