Tuesday, May 08, 2007


Day Three... The Laugh.

We went to the orphange twice a day... for one hour in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. It was so very emotional. We were thrilled to see her, of course, and she was just so perplexed. I mean, here are these two people... just coming and going and coming and going and she can't even understand our language. We could tell she wanted to like us, but her self-protection was trying to protect her little heart.
She'd hold onto me with all her might and just cry... sometimes for the entire time we were there. She'd stop and look at me, look into my eyes, then bury her face in my neck and cry. We'd leave and be so heart broken for her. By the end of the second day, I was starting to get worried that we were in for some real anxiety and attachment issues.
But Day Three will be a day I forever remember. It's the day she let her defense down and gave herself to us. I was leaning her back and kissing in her neck and on her chest and she started to laugh. Don had the video camera going and so we have this precious first laugh on tape. Then he snapped this picture. I did it over and over for at least ten mintes and we just cried together. It was the turning point and in that one moment... I knew everything would be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!