Friday, January 06, 2012

To receive in the moment


"The quiet song of gratitude, eucharisteo, lures humility out of the shadows because to receive a gift the knees must bend humble and the hand must lie vulnerably open and the will must bow to accept whatever the Giver chooses to give."  Ann Voskamp, ~ One Thousand Gifts ~

30. bag of soup
31. Don's help with the kids this morning
32. Abby's pleasant mood this morning
33. hot shower on cold morning
34. a good hat to hide a bad hair day
35. friends making cards for orphans
36. clarity to keep priorities
37. sound of hair dryer as Abby dries her hair by herself
38. smiles from Pat (former mom 2 mom leader)
39. a filling dinner of fresh veggies
40. words of wisdom and love from my husband
41. clean floor swept by my daughter
42. Marc's joy from first day at new pre-school
43. smiles and sweet conversation from friend in the carpool line
44. driving with the windows cracked
45. warmth of sunshine on my face through car window
46. closure on interesting old house

This is my list from yesterday.  I get so excited to start my list each day.  But I am already seeing that I am missing something.  Just five days into it, I am seeing that I am missing some of the gifts in the moment and only remembering them at the end of the day.  I am not totally living in the moment.  I want to be in the moment!

Now I am pretty excited that I am recognizing so many gifts from the Father each day but I like it more when I catch it in the moment and hold it close... pausing and accepting with thankfulness.  Like when I came downstairs yesterday and saw that Taylor had swept the kitchen floor the night before.  It is one of her chores and I thought she had not had time to do it since she had so much homework.  So when I walked into the kitchen at 6:30 a.m. and saw clean floors... it blessed me.  I smiled and thanked her when I saw her... yet... I didn't hold it close as a gift from the Father that He held and handed me first thing... to start my day.  I thanked her.  And yet He was there... the true giver... and I didn't lift my eyes to thank Him.

And I feel I must explain #30. bag of soup!  Yesterday, I was kinda filling in for the leader of my Mom 2 Mom group.  She was on a trip and asked me to "lead".  Well, there was no leading!  LOL  She also suggested we make cards for the orphans in Latvia I will be going to visit next week.  So I was only bringing a craft for our group to do!  So the night before, one of my former leaders calls me and tells me the leaders are supposed to bring a crock pot of soup or chili for their group the next day!  I got the message at 5 p.m.  Awwwww!  Then she gave me the best little news.  There is a little known secret that you can go to Atlanta Bread Company (local restaurant) and purchase a "bag" of the soup they serve!  It comes frozen and all you have to do it thaw it out and put it in the crock pot!  It fills the crock pot!  Don was already out and so he stopped by and purchased a bag of soup!  I was thrilled and so excited to be in on the secret!  It was a gift!

There have been so many gifts.  There always has been.  I have acknowledged them before but I want to lie in them now!  I want to be saturated by their presence... just by seeing what was already there!  One of my sweetest gifts yet came the other day when I let something fly!  You can read about it here on another blog I contribute to with some other amazing pretty amazing women who love the LORD and LOVE to talk about it!   I have only met one of these other women but I think we must organize a girl's weekend soon!  They are such sweet sisters in Christ!

I urge you to have opened eyes today and take all the LORD has planned for you with joy and thankfulness.  It is really overwhelming how much He loves us and how much He showers us with His presence!

Be blessed... much much love...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!