Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Quiet Time Reflection


He said to Simon, "Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." (4)

into the deep... how often are we called into the deep by Christ...?

But Simon answered and said to Him, "Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless, at Your word I will let down the net." (5)

"But"... how many times do we respond to God's word, to His promptings, to His commandments with a "but..." 

"we have toiled"... we...we on our own... we with our own plan... we in our own time... we in our own way...  we toil and catch nothing.

"nevertheless"... what a word... nevertheless... it goes deeper than "anyway"... it screams reluctance but at the same time bends in obedience.  What a human word... nevertheless.

"at Your word I will".  What a prize awaits you when at the word of God you respond with "I will."  It is the essence of what our life should be... "Lord, at Your word, I will."

And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their net was breaking. (6)
When Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." (8)

And when they had done this... they caught.  And when they did what Jesus told them to do... He provided.  And when they did what Jesus told them to do... THEN Jesus provided.  He didn't just provide, it was overflowing... it was in abundance!  And when they did what Jesus told them to do... THEN Jesus had the opportunity to do what He does best... BE JESUS for them.  Do we let Jesus do what He wants to do in our lives... or do we reject His call and offer and stick to OUR effort, OUR plan, and OUR way?

WHEN Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees and recognized Him as Lord!  WHEN Peter heard Jesus, DID what He told Him to do, SAW Jesus do His thing, He THEN SAW JESUS!

So when they brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him. (11)

After Jesus just overloaded their nets (they were fishermen... it was their career... their food, their income... their provision)... they brought their boats ashore and walked away from it all for Jesus... to follow Jesus.  They walked away from their friends, from their boats, from their homes, from their possessions... they forsook all and followed Him.  Wow.  This just sat all over me this morning.  How eager are we to forsake all for Jesus?  How eager are we to forsake all to follow Jesus... to obey Him... to go where He brings you and to go when He calls?

Sometimes I jump up and run at His call.  Other times I wait to see if He will repeat it?  And more than that, I can dig in my heels and say no.  Oh how I miss HIM and what He does best when I do that.  When I cling to my knowledge and my ideas and my plans and my thoughts and desires and fears.

I want to always chose to forsake all and follow Jesus.  I don't want to miss any opportunity to see Him and what He does best.

"Trust the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In ALL your ways acknowledge Him, and HE SHALL DIRECT YOUR PATHS."  Proverbs 3:5~


passage from Luke 5~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!